Thanks to a very wonderful friend (Kate) who seems to collect used sewing machines I'm back in business. She had an older Necchi that was sitting around doing nothing, so she gave it to me as a spare machine. Once I got it cleaned up and de-linted (wow, there was a lot of lint), I started playing. Yes, I spent $10.00 for a download of the users manual. I figured out what the problem was with the tension. Got everything adjusted and, bam, can this machine chew through a hem. I'm going to have to get more bobbins, because my old singer bobbins won't fit. Not a problem.
It's it pretty.
I got the gussets sewn in and I got the sleeves and bottom hemmed up. All I have left is the trim and this one is in the bag.
Thank you my dear Kate for getting me back in business.