|These are the actual stockings. They were repaired (not well) in several places and the bottom of the foot was a separate piece, obviously the original foot wore out.|
As the pattern was written for a man, the foot measurement had to be altered to fit my smaller foot. I also had to alter the thigh and calf measurements to fit my, rather heavy, leg. This was a fascinating project because it is a reproduction of an actual historical garment. The original was in a wool yarn that would have been comparable to what we call sport weight. I used a cotton ( 75%) and poly (25%) fingering weight. I swatched it to find a needle size, because the pattern was written for a size 1. I ended up using a size 3.
I'm thrilled with how it came out. There is a clock pattern on the sides of the ankle, the back seam is 14 st wide starting with a garter stitch (p1, then next row k1), 3 knit stitches, another garter stitch, 4 knit stitches, a garter stitch, 3 knit stitches and ending with a garter stitch. It makes the decreases very neat.
|Here is the clock pattern.|
|This is the back seam.|
The color is a dove brown, the top picture is closer to the real color. I had a lot of fun with this pattern, even if I did have to graft the toes using the Kitchner Stitch :).