Last year at GNEW, even though my Bliaunts are cotton/linen blend, I absolutely melted. It was so hot that I finally ended up in just my chemise on Sunday. So, and yes Jenn and Kate I can hear you snickering behind your hands, I decided this year that I was making some Hot Weather garb. I'm making a Bog dress and two sets of Roman Matron garb, tunicas and pellas. One tunica will be in cotton lawn, an off white, and the other is cotton gauze, white with a white on white box pattern. One tunica will be a lavender cotton gauze and the other is a dusty blue cotton lawn. The bog dress is also cotton lawn. Here are the fabrics.
|Bog dress fabric. Isn't it great :)|
|This is the lavender gauze with cotton lawn|
|This is the dusty blue cotton lawn with the cotton gauze|
Now, traditionally, these dresses would be pinned at the shoulders with broaches. I cheated and sewed them at the shoulders, about where my bra straps will show. This way I don't have to worry about remembering broaches and I can "fake it" with pins if I want.
Two hours and 15 minutes from first cut to this.
It's not the most flattering line, but if it keeps me from falling over in the heat then it's worth it. I can also put a chemise or shirt underneath and it will work if the weather is cooler.
Tomorrow we tackle the tunica.