I've been working on a pair of pants in a medium weight cotton broadcloth for a fellow crew member. He gave me a pair of pants that fit him and said "use this as a pattern". Well, as most of you know, I'm still a novice seamstress, so I took him at his word. Not a great idea. The pants he gave me where dress pants made of a very stretchy fabric.
Back to the drawing board. At this point I took some measurements of my own and started from there. I basted up the main seams and had him come over for a fitting. We determined that the waist had to come in a bit and the leg needed to taper a bit, but the fit was good. Pulled out the basting and sewed up the front pieces together (I used one solid back piece). Put two square pockets on the outside of the front and put inseam pockets in and sewed them up. I used what I call a serging stitch. It is the one that has two lines of stitches with a triangle in between. I felt better about re-enforcing the seams.
I've also been crocheting snoods and bags like a mad women.
So, now all that is left is the final fitting, then hemming them and putting the grommets in the opening. I'll get a picture of him in them when they are all done.
Belated London Part the Fourth
2 months ago