Last night I hand stitched the neckline. I just rolled it over and whip stitched it. I also sewed on two of the buttons and took a couple of stitches at the top to keep the fold together.
Today I hemmed the sleeves and the bottom of the shirt. I used a zigzag stitch on the bottom for a different effect. I sewed the last buttons at the wrist and I'm done.
OK...here are the lessons I learned:
1) Make sure you have the right needle. When sewing knits you should use a ballpoint needle.
2) Tissue paper is your friend when sewing delicate or slippery fabrics.
3) Buttonholes. My machine has a one step buttonhole. If the material is slippery or delicate use a scrap piece of sturdy fabric when making the buttonhole.
4) Use the proper stitch. Knits need the stretch stitch or a zigzag stitch to work correctly.
5) A little hand sewing for details never hurt anyone.
3 days ago