Whew - it is hot in my kitchen where my sewing area is set up. I had the fan on and still kind of melted.
I got the sleeves on today. I had to rip part of the side seam out that I put in yesterday after I put one sleeve on and realized it wasn't right. I was looking for a slightly Rennie type sleeve that buttoned at the top, elbow and wrist and was wide at the bottom.
I cut two pieces per sleeve, hemmed the straight edge and pinned the two pieces to the body. I sewed them on and then ran the bottom up. I still need to hem the bottom of the sleeve. Then I put in the buttonholes.
OK...a word or two about buttonholes. I've never done them before so I read the directions in the machines manual. My machine has a one step buttonhole option. It says to use a thick thread when making buttonholes on slippery or knit fabric. Yeah, right. No way could I get those stupid things set right. After much swearing, I got a brain storm. I put a sturdier piece of scrap material under the knit and, voila, worked like a charm. Nice and easy with that fix.
I'm going to do a hand rolled whip stitch neckline. Then sew on the buttons and I'm done. I have a salvage edge at the bottom so hemming that is optional.
Belated London Part the Fourth
2 months ago